Non-profit organization started to raise awareness for suicide prevention

Shae Turner, Staff Writer

The It’s 10:10 Make a Wish, official company logo, above, has an icon of a gecko because Brooke had a pet gecko who she adored and loved. T-shirt’s can be purchased, with the logo on it, for donations.
Jessica Fischer

The It’s 10:10 Make a Wish foundation is a non-profit organization, which focuses on suicide awareness and prevention. Jessica Fischer started the program when she lost her baby sister, Brooke Fischer on August 23, 2014, which made her life “a little less fun, a little less bright, and just a bit worthless.”

Suicide is a real issue and the third leading cause of death for kids between the ages 10-24, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About 40,000 lives in America are lost each year due to suicide with more than half of  these people having bullying issues in their past.

When Fischer started living the reality of losing someone to suicide, it opened her eyes, and made her yearn for a change in society. The day that Brooke passed away, many of her friends reacted immediately to their grief by posting loving and caring comments on social media.

But one specific account on Instagram attacked Brooke and her death. This account said many hurtful things, making matters worse for everyone involved. When people started to protest against this cyber bully, he said things like “go pull a Brooke” which translates into go kill yourself, according to Fischer.

Fischer tried to get a law passed due to this bullying. Instead she started her own program, It’s 10:10 Make a Wish.

“Our goal is to make a difference by spreading awareness and shining light on the fact that teen suicide exists and it needs to be stopped,” said Fischer. When teens feel depressed and want to give up, Fischer wants teens to choose to live.

Fischer wants this program to become more than just a local one. The program plans to take their message to high schools, colleges, and universities across the nation, to have people’s voices known and heard. For the program to become nationwide, they need to raise money through donation. To place a donation, people can go to their gofundme account located at http://www.gofundme.com/ge6loc.

With the money raised, Fischer wants the program to give back to the community and families. They want to one day have programs for high schools and colleges and one day an offsite program that people can physically go to. Eventually, Fischer would like to start a camp, for teenagers, so everyone has a place to feel accepted and connect with others who have gone through similar situations.

If a student feels suicidal or depressed, the best thing to do is talk to someone. If a student at school doesn’t feel like talking to a counselor or a teacher, they can call the Faith Hotline number which is 562-7777 or go to the Faith website at www.faithlutheranlv.org and leave a message.

Courtney Burns, school counselor, feels that if a student feels down or goes through a constant struggle, talking to others is the number one thing to do.

“I think the rule to live by with this is if you are worried, speak up and it is important if you think you aren’t heard to keep speaking up. The moment of being embarrassed or people thinking you’re dramatic is so much less painful than losing someone,” said Burns.

To see a PDF version of the story, click the link below.

it’s 1010 make a wish organization -3