Downtown Summerlin opened to Las Vegas on October 9th with popular stores

Andie Ironside, Staff Writer

Cars drive and park through the Summerlin malls as costumers prepare to shop through stores. The mall opened on October 9 with the latest trends, a new movie theatre, food trucks, and quality restaurants.
Andie Ironside

After years of planning, Downtown Summerlin, located just off the 215 Beltway at the Sahara exit, opened to the public on Thursday, October 9 with popular stores, entertainment, fine restaurants, and food trucks to keep customers happy.

With eighty-five stores and restaurants, Downtown Summerlin took seven years to make. The mall broke ground in 2007 and was said to open in 2009. Due to recession, this caused construction to halt in 2008. According to the LAs Vegas Review Journal, building restarted in mid-2013 because unemployment dropped, incomes rose and the company gained money.

Designed by the Howard Hughes Corporation, the outdoor mall gives locals a new option for shopping.

“I think it’s convenient rather than all the malls by the strip,” eighth grader Haley Lilla said.

By the end of the year, the 1.6 million square foot complex will have more than one hundred twenty-five stores and restaurants, along with luxury apartments and businesses.

Community officials believe in the growth of the mall.

“We have no doubt about the success of this project,” Tom Warden, the Vice President of Community and Government Affairs for the Howard Hughes Corporation told Channel 8 News.

At Downtown Summerlin, customers can find well known stores like Forever 21, Hot Topic, Macy’s, Old Navy, and Dillard’s. Here, customers can buy the latest trends.

Downtow Summerlin opened up with dining as well with new and old restaurants. A new one includes Moe’s Southwest Grill which serves Texas-Mexican food. A restaurant known to Vegas includes Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

Like most outdoor malls, Downtown Summerlin includes food trucks like the Dragon Grill.

Regal Cinemas opened up at this new mall and its completely different compared to the other theatres in Vegas. This theatre includes luxury seats that recline, a full bar, and great food. This Regal theatre became Vegas’s most modern and unique theatre.

“You can sit back and relax while watching the movie. You can call the waiter and you can shop first and then go watch the movie and not have to go to Red Rock,” said seventh grader Heather Bormann. “The only thing I dislike is that they have only five theatres. They also have more adult movies than kids, so they need to expand. I feel like it’s more geared towards adults and not kids.”

Many students at Faith Lutheran love Downtown Summerlin.

“Downtown Summerlin is the best thing in the world, and is better than Red Rock,” said seventh grader Colin Stuhmer.

According to Stuhmer, Downtown Summerlin became the “new hangout spot,” according to for people of all ages.

Even though Downtown Summerlin  sounds great, a few students dislike things about the mall.

“I don’t like the intersections in the mall because cars go through them,” said seventh grader, Evelyn Rossman.

To see the PDF version of the story, click the link below

D.Summerlin-Andie