Science Bowl team prepares to compete in the Nevada Regional Competition

Students Aaron Wyderka, Brandon McCormic, and Jaden Pauling compete that took place last year. they finished in third place overall; the next competition will take place on February.

Kylie Capuano, Staff Writer

Since tryouts in November, three groups of five students that were selected to be on the Science Bowl team practice every week in order to prepare to compete in the Nevada Regional Competition that will take place in February.

Lead by science teacher Mrs. Brenda Beery, the Science Bowl team consists of students ranging from sixth through eighth grade that learn about a variety of Science subjects including life Science, earth Science, physical Science, and astronomy.

The Nevada Regional Competition allows Nevada school Science Bowl teams to compete and use their knowledge. In the competition, each of the two opposing teams have four team members sitting down at the buzzers and one alternate if needed. The teams get asked a question and if a student knows the answer they press their buzzer. If they get the question right, they get asked a bonus question.

Although Faith Lutheran did not win the Nevada Regional Competition last year, the Science Bowl team has had great victories in the past. In 2009 and 2012, Faith won the Nevada Regional Competition and was able to partake in the national competition in Washington D.C. Unfortunately, they did not win.

The Nevada Regional Competition doesn’t take place until February 28, and in order to prepare for the competition the team meets two to three times a week to have a buzzer practice and a study session. The buzzer practice helps the team to prepare for the competition by helping them answer quickly with buzzers, and the study session helps the students to gain more knowledge in order to prepare for the competition.

Tryouts for the Science Bowl team took place in November with fifteen students trying out. At tryouts, students sat down with buzzers and Beery asked the students Science related questions to see how comfortable the students were with the buzzers and how quickly they answered the questions. After Beery looked over all the data from the tryouts, the students found out who made the team within a week of the tryouts. All of the fifteen students that tried out made the team, Beery decided to form three teams in order to give all of the students interested the opportunity to participate. The new Science Bowl team members began practice for the Nevada Regional Competition after Thanksgiving Break.

Most of the Science Bowl team members from last year enjoyed expanding their knowledge on science and getting to partake in the Nevada Regional Competition.

“I enjoyed getting to go to the Nevada Regional Competition and getting to hang out with friends,” said seventh grader Chad Sherf.

Beery looks forward to competing in the Nevada Regional Competition.

“I am mostly excited to share strategies, pass along knowledge, and help students build relationships within the team,” said Beery. “And then see how they work together in the competition to attain as many points as they can.”

To see a pdf version of the story, click on the following link: science bowl layout