New advanced handbells group created this year for seventh and eighth graders

Middle school students Vanessa Avery, Hayley Hines, Isabelle Cottingham, and Olivia Cox rehearsing their music. They rehearsed before school in the choir room.

Kylie Capuano, Staff Writer

New advanced handbells group created this year allows seventh and eighth graders to get the challenge they have been hoping for to strengthen their skills, and to advance to the next level.

Starting this year, seventh and eighth graders can now take part in advanced handbells.

Advanced handbells started this year to provide students with an opportunity to become better at handbells. To qualify for advanced handbells, students had to have experience in handbells, and they had to take a test on reading music notes and rhythms.

Many students hoped to improve their skills in handbells by joining this group.

“I joined advanced handbells because I wanted a challenge, and I love music”, said seventh grader Vanessa Avery.

Advanced handbells is different from the other handbells group because the students in this group achieved high scores on a music theory test, they work with bells that are harder to use, they play more complicated songs, and unlike the other handbells group, they will play in a music festival this spring in California.

Being a group of only sixteen students, advanced handbells is a class but they also rehearse before school at 7:00 AM and sometimes after school.

“I like how advanced handbells is challenging,” said eighth grader Clara Heislin. “We get to learn a lot of new things, although I don’t necessarily like getting up early in the morning.”

Advanced handbells teacher Mrs. Sandra Youmans is excited for the school year.

“This group has made a commitment to excellence,” said Youmans. “They’ve been practicing really hard, and by Christmas they will have some great music to share in

chapel and in our Christmas concerts.

To see a newspaper pdf version, please click the following link:advanced handbells layout