• October 20Tune in for all new story updates!

Bicycling At Faith – Should you ride to school?

Two bicycles lay on a rack outside Faith Lutheran. Students who bicycle to school report feeling more energized and ready to attend school each day.

Photo by Owen Thompson

Photo by Owen Thompson

Owen Thompson, Editor

As time goes on, new methods of transportation seem to come and go, with each person having a favorite way to get around. But, there always have been those preferring bicycles over all.

8th grader Krishna Borges, who rides a bike to school every day, argues that riding a bicycle has an inherent benefit to it.

The benefit, according to Borges, is primarily health-related. He comments, “Riding a bike to school is a good workout, and it helps me get stronger.”

Furthermore, he argues that the benefit may extend to mentality as well, sharing, “I think it helps me think more, and get energized every morning before school.”

While bicycling certainly has its positives, at least according to those who bicycle, it remains largely unpopular at Faith. 8th grader Aaron Ventimiglia, who does not ride a bicycle to school, explains, “I think most people don’t ride a bicycle to school because they live too far away, like I do.” Mostly, those who don’t ride a bicycle agree that the main reason to not ride a bicycle to school is living too far away.

I think that if more people rode a [bicycle] to school, everyone would be more excited about school.”

— Krishna Borges

Among students who do ride a bike to school, they seem to ride their bikes to school nearly every day. This, to paraphrase Borges, is because of how easy it is to ride a bicycle to school, and also because one can leave for school on their own schedule, if they wish, rather than waiting on someone else to take them to school.

Even still, some students stand opposed to riding a bicycle themselves. 8th grader Eddie Hsieh explains, “I would ride a bike to school, but cars are so much quicker, and that’s a big help when I wake up late.”

Hsieh’s opinion reveals a critical truth about students’ feelings on bicycling: specifically, that while riding a bike is not necessarily a bad thing, it just isn’t practical for most students.

Still, for the students who can ride to school each day, the choice is mostly clear.

In fact, in a recent publication by Harvard University, it is stated that the main benefits of riding a bicycle are a benefit to joint, muscle, bone, and heart health, all through the exercise and pressure the activity puts on the body.

Borges agrees, suggesting, “If more people rode a bike to school, I think people would be more excited about school in the mornings. It would be better for people overall.”

Regardless, the select few who do ride to school seem to be firm believers in the benefits of bicycling.