• October 20Tune in for all new story updates!

Crusaders preparing for Valpo

Canyon Kutch, Staff Writer

In just a couple weeks, our basketball teams travel all the way to Valparaiso, Indiana to play in an all Lutheran basketball tournament at Valparaiso University. The teams that are attending the tournament is the Boys A team and the Girls A team. Both teams have been red hot; they hope to repeat their performance all the way in Indiana.

Founded in 1859, Valparaiso University offers a thorough grounding in the liberal arts as well as professional training and graduate study, helping students find their own paths to lifelong personal, spiritual, and professional growth, according to http://www.valpo.edu. Hundreds of students participate annually in concerts, plays, and exhibitions, with access to state-of-the-art performance facilities Students combine perform more than 220,000 hours of community outreach and service-learning annually. Along with all of these activities Valparaiso University participates in many sporting events, with basketball being their main sport that they hold.

Every year since 1952 Valparaiso University works with the LBAA to hold an all Lutheran basketball tournament, where only schools that have a Lutheran background can participate in the tournament. This year the tournament will be held on March 23-26. Judging based off of how the teams have been recently preforming, both of our basketball teams have a really high chance of winning the whole tournament against Lutheran basketball teams all around the country. “ I think that we have a really good shot of winning the whole tournament if we preform to our very best, “ said seventh grader Colin Madden.

Overall, the Valparaiso University is a great school to attend with all of the service and activities that you could join. If you wish to participate in this tournament consider joining the basketball team next year. For information about joining the team please contact Coach Schwartz at schwartzl@flhsemail.org or Coach Stelzer at stelzerw@flhsemail.org.