Eighth grade students travel to Washington DC for the Presidential Inauguration

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of Anonymous
Students pose in front of the capital building in Washington DC to watch the inauguration of the 45th president of the United States.

Courtesy of Anonymous Students pose in front of the capital building in Washington DC to watch the inauguration of the 45th president of the United States.

McKenzie Ballif, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017, a group of teachers and eighth grade students will depart to Washington DC for the presidential inauguration. Throughout the entire trip, students and teachers will visit the majority of Washington DC’s most famous museums and memorials, however, the whole trip revolves around Inauguration Day.

On Inauguration Day, the tour group will commute to Capital Hill where they will have the chance to participate in Inaugural activities such as a parade and a concert. After the inauguration, everyone will get dressed up in their formal attire for a dinner and dance cruise on the boat The Spirit of Mount Vernon. The group will enjoy their special inaugural ball while sailing down the Potomac River.

Participants in this year’s ceremony can look forward to seeing a concert, a parade, and the swearing in. Attendants of the inaugural concert or another inaugural event can possibly look forward to seeing performances by select members of the Rockettes, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Toby Keith, and 3 Doors Down. Sixteen year old Jackie Evancho will also perform the national anthem. The parade will be shorter than previous inaugurations. The 8,000 people who are marching in the parade include police, drill teams, and high school and college bands. Overall, the inauguration will follow a normal schedule.

While many supporters will attend the ceremony, protesters will also be in DC standing up for the things they believe in. The US capital city is bracing for thousands of people voicing their opinions on different causes or their opposition to the election. Throughout Inauguration Day and the many days surrounding it, protests will take place across the country.

This year there will be more security than both of Obama’s previous inaugurations. The security expenses were expected to exceed 100 million dollars and 3,200 police officers from across the country will provide protection just along the parade route. Even though the expected over all number of audience members is 800,000 – 900,000, which is significantly smaller than Obama’s attendance of 1.8 million this past inauguration, extra security will be needed to control the crowds.

The student’s trip will be busy from morning to night so they will not have much time for leisure or homework. People who participate on the trip will be missing two full days of school, meaning they will have a decent amount of make up work which they are not exempt from.

“I am a little nervous for all the absent work I will get but I will try to do most of it before the trip and whatever is left I’ll find some time to do it,” said eighth grader, Reese Rivera.

Besides the make up work, students will be apart of numerous enjoyable activities that could cancel out any stress they may be feeling and could change their over all opinion of the trip.

“I’m super excited for this trip because it’s a really cool opportunity for me and I’m looking forward to being in D.C. and seeing our President Elect inaugurated into office,” said eighth grader, Reese Rivera.

This trip will give students a chance to learn about the capital of our country and the once in a lifetime opportunity to see the 45th president get inaugurated into office.