Christmas Traditions: past, present, and future

Stephan Orlovich, Staff Writer

To many around the world, the holidays are a time to reflect, tell stories, sing songs, eat traditional yet unique meals, and just be happy in general. Many families across the United States celebrate the holiday season by having a special custom, a tradition. Families at Faith Lutheran have many of these time-honored customs celebrated in their homes.

At Faith Lutheran, many students have many different and interesting things that they do to celebrate the holidays. For example, students will go out of town and celebrate with their extended family, like Andrew Fogo, seventh grade student does.

“Usually I switch from Arizona to California like every year. I go, I celebrate Christmas, and I eat my grandma’s famous casserole that she makes,”said Fogo.

Many students at Faith see their distant relatives when Christmastime rolls around and it is a happy and joyful reunion, but others may not see them during the holiday season. Some students have traditions completely apart from family.

As you can see, students have a multitude of unique Christmas traditions for the holidays, but do students celebrate or have a favorable view of the traditional customs of the holiday season, like Santa Claus, a bad one, or a moderate/mixed view? Andrew Fogo seems to have a more moderate view.

“I think he’s good because the kids believe that this mystical creature is real. I think that it is good for little kids, but middle school we should be done with that Sixth grader Kenneth

Lozich agrees with Fogo. He says “I like Santa because it is fun for little kids. They have a lot of fun with it.”

Some students at Faith Lutheran don’t even celebrate Christmas. One seventh grader, Taylor Goldstein celebrates Hanukkah, a Jewish holiday.

According to Goldstein, participants spin a dreidel. Goldstein later adds, “We light the candles each day starting with the one farthest to the left, then the one farthest to the right and alternate until we get to the seventh day. On the seventh day, we light the middle candle.”

In conclusion, people at Faith Lutheran take part in many different, unique traditions that are all part of the fun during this holiday season. At Faith, many students have a different and unique way to celebrate the holidays. Students like Andrew have a special meal or tradition, while some students do not. Some students celebrate Christmas, while others may celebrate another holiday. The holidays are about celebrating our traditions and our diversity. Finally, the holidays are a time to get together, be happy, and have fun with family and friends.