Cell phone addictions affect’s student’s learning ability and communication skills

Photo by Erin Thompson

Two girls share a funny post together before school begins. The average amount of time kids go on their phone is about 30 minutes each day.

Erin Thompson, Staff Writer

As much as ninety-five percent of Americans spend at least two or more hours on a smartphone, computer, tablet, or another personal digital device on a daily basis, according to www.cbsnews.com. Other studies show that for males, the average amount of texts sent a month equals 604. For females, the average amount equals 892 texts per month, according to cbcnews.com. At Faith Lutheran, nearly everyone in middle school owns a cell phone, mostly smartphones. This might cause a seriously unhealthy addiction for kids and might disrupt their lives in many ways

One of the main reasons kids tend to go on their phones so much includes to cure their boredom. But, a downside to this is that this may also effect student’s studying, and it might effect on them academically, according to pewinternet.org.

“I think this takes away my time to study and focus on homework,” said seventh grader, Jacqueline Hillegass.

Even though studies show that the more kids use their phones the more social skills they might lack. Kids and teenagers still tend to like them for many reasons.

“I really enjoy the touchscreen features,” Hillegass said.

While some people enjoy newer, recently added features; others might like different things about their smartphones.

“I like that I can go on media at any time and that I can go on the Internet at any time,” said seventh grader, Camille Longabardi.

As most people know, many different phone companies provide electronics, such as Samsung, Android, and Apple. Most middle school students at Faith, use the Apple brand products.

Over 5,600 middle school students in Nevada own Apple phones. Combined they, stay on their phones for at least seven hours a day, according to cbsnews.com

The average amount of times middle school students go on their phones all depends on that person, and their personal values.

“I think I go on my phone about thirty times a day,” said seventh grader Teagen Flourens.

While some people choose to go their phones more often some might not, because they feel it is not healthy for them to use technology that often.

“I’d say I go on my phone like thirty minutes to an hour,” said seventh grader, Franco Alvarez. “I think this healthier than going on it too often.”

During passing periods, most of the phones come out, but some students still don’t choose to have theirs come out then, or any other time during the school day.

“I barely even go on my phone at passing periods,” said Longabardi.

Some say that cutting themselves off from electronics once there on campus is a better, more efficient way to go through the day.

Middle school assistant principal Mr. Jacob Kothe agrees.

“Well, certainly I think phones have a purpose to communicate with their family if there is a change of plans, and to do appropriate things. So we allow students to use them during five-minute breaks, and at lunch with permission. But, during class they definitely need to be away,” Kothe said.

Almost every middle school student goes on their phone on a daily basis. Those times range from thirty minuets to hours and hours. Some of these time, are typically not healthy for kids our age.

“I know their are definitely students who go on their phones for hours, and hours. I don’t think that’s good or healthy. But certainly to do it for a little bit is okay. I think it is just doing things moderately,” said Kothe.

According to washingtonpost.com the “appropriate” amount of time for kids to be on electronics on a daily basis equals about one to one and a half hours a day.

But, their are many health effects for going extremely over this limit. Students can face an extreme decline in their social lives, with friends, and family.

Another effect includes becoming less active during sports, and less engaged in after school activities.

Even if there are many downsides to the over-usage of electronics, there a preferable solutions.

Some solutions include becoming more active. Students can accomplish this by doing outdoor activities such as bike riding, running, or swimming.

These activities are just some of the ways students can unplug and regain their social skills, and communicate to others.

To see a PDF of the layout click here Phone addiction layout