How students cope with having parents in the military

Tyler Munding

Tyler's dad, (bottom right) stands with his 90 man platoon. Most of the men in this picture have families in the United States, including Tyler's dad

“I think that being in the military is definitely the right thing to do. We get to move a lot and it keeps you in shape, you get to serve the country and it will also teach you some basic skills,” said seventh grade student Blake Cheater on his parents being in the military.

Other students agree.

“I feel like my parents are definitely doing the right thing by being in the military because by being in the military you are serving our country and therefor serving God by protecting our country,”said eight grade student Emma Mathies.

Being in the military is one of the hardest jobs in the United States, but it doesn’t just have an impact on the people doing it but also an impact on the familes of military members. The military doesn’t just affect the people in it but the people’s familes as well. It specifically effects them because when their parents are away they don’t see them very often.

Often, kids keep in touch with their parents through apps on their phones or iPads.

“If my dad is away, I like to use some apps to keep in contact with him like oovoo and FaceTime. I feel like they help a lot,” said seventh grade student Tyler Munding.

Cheater agrees.

“My dad is currently deployed. I make sure to keep in contact with him through FaceTime,” said      Cheater.

Some students have parents that were recently deployed, but it seems like they all keep in contact the same way.

“My dad was just deployed about a year ago. He is back now, but when he was gone we would FaceTime every night to keep in touch,” said Mathes.

Another problem kids have with their parents being in the military is coping with fear.

“We cannot protect our children from all that is bad. Yet we can learn to talk to our children about war. Use language that is easy to understand and does not hide the truth. Protect children from needless worries and concerns. Provide them with a sense of security and safety. Children should be assured that everything is being done to bring their loved ones home safely,” said military.com, reguarding what you can do to help kids with parents that are deployed.

Children of different ages have different reactions with their parents being in the military.

“Teens may become angry and act out. They can also withdraw or act like they don’t care about things. Adolescents may also not like new family roles and responsibilities after the deployed parent returns home,” said military.com.

Even students without family in the military know it would change them.

“If my dad was in the military, I would be different in every way. I would be more mature, really would just so different in every way,” said seventh grade student Trey Black.

One other problem with deployment is moving around a lot. Some people have a problem moving around a lot, but others are ok with it and think it is fun.

“I think that it is fun to move around a lot. I like it a little bit, “said Cheater,”but it is hard as well. You have to lose lots of friends but I like meeting more.”

Click here for a PDF version of this story.