• October 20Tune in for all new story updates!

Marquis Jamison

Nationally recognized service honoree serves as role model for Faith Lutheran students

James Lea (left) and Marquis Jamison (right) pose with their Prudential awards. Jamison has completed over 700 hours of community service for places such as homeless shelters, the Ronald McDonald House, and various cancer 
foundations.

James Lea (left) and Marquis Jamison (right) pose with their Prudential awards. Jamison has completed over 700 hours of community service for places such as homeless shelters, the Ronald McDonald House, and various cancer foundations.

Photo courtesy of Shauntele Harless

Photo courtesy of Shauntele Harless

Jordan Pulse, Editor

On May 2, Marquis Jamison, seventh grade nationally recognized service honoree, received the Prudential Spirit of Community Award in Washington D.C. He will also receive the Acts of Kindness Award in Las Vegas for his ongoing community service for the homeless, cancer patients, and those with disabilities in other countries.

Ever since kindergarten, Jamison has volunteered and helped his community in multiple ways. In kindergarten, Jamison began his community service with providing the homeless with food and water. By second grade, he had already donated three-thousand dollars to cancer patients by cutting off his long hair.

Other friends, family, and relatives inspired Jamison to start community service.

“I was kind of born into community service since everyone around me told me to start. Later on, I stuck with it,” said Jamison.

A few years later, his mother started a non profit organization, “Vegas Youth Ambassadors”, where Jamison became actively involved and had the opportunity to impact the community even more. Through this organization, Jamison has traveled to Sri Lanka and Thailand to work with orphaned children and give children with disabilities wheelchairs.

Besides “Vegas Youth Ambassadors” Jamison has also volunteered at other nonprofit organizations.

“I’ve volunteered at orphanages, raised money for kids with cancer, volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House, and many more places,” said Jamison.

Jamison’s service to the Las Vegas community inspires everyone he comes across.

“He’s a role model and ambassador for Faith Lutheran, the community, and his peers,” said Mrs. Sarah Harper, Faith Lutheran Principal.

This Spring, Jamison along with James Lea, another community service nominee in 12th grade, received one thousand dollars and an expense free trip to Washington D.C.for their ongoing service to the community and impact on society. In Washington, these students heard many notable public figures applaud their work as youth volunteers, and they had the opportunity to meet other nationally recognized honorees.

Jamison enjoyed his experience at the nation’s capital.

“In (Washington D.C) we did a lot of stuff, and it was actually pretty amazing,” said Jamison. “We even got a tour of the White House and a private tour of the capital.”

According to the Prudential Award’s website, this program’s goals are to applaud young people who make positive differences in their towns and neighborhoods, and to inspire others to contribute to their own communities. Over the past 20 years alone, more than 115,000 middle school and high school students have received official recognition for their service.

Jamison claims he doesn’t need nor deserve the recognition he’s receiving.

“It’s not about me getting recognized, its about me helping the community and leaving an influence on others,” said Jamison.

To see a PDF version of this story click Here