Ready, set, go!

Seventh grade student races to the finish line

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ready, set, go!

Farnum waits for the starting signal before racing at LVMS. At eight years old, she began to race and continued her family tradition of drag racing.

Photo courtesy of Kylie Harris

Photo courtesy of Kylie Harris

Photo courtesy of Kylie Harris

Lauren Tomita, Staff Writer

Some Faith Lutheran students spend their time playing sports such as soccer and baseball, but seventh grade student Makayla Farnum stands out from the crowd. Farnum participates in drag races at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway (LVMS) reaching speeds of nearly 85 miles per hour in her car.

Two racers compete against each other in drag racing. While racing, the cars must race a certain distance in an allotted amount of time before a red light appears and the racers become eliminated. If the racers still have a green light, the fastest racer moves on to the next round in the tournament. To participate in a tournament, fans must pay for a ticket and the racers have to pay about fifty dollars as well, according to Farnum.

Farnum believes that drag racing stands out from the crowd, and has different elements from other racing sports.

“Most people think that it’s like Nascar or go-cart racing, but it’s not. If it was, I would probably do well because I’m race fast,” said Farnum.

About every two weeks, Farnum competes in events. Preparing for these races has taken years of practice. In Farnum’s case, she has been practicing and racing since she was “eight years old,” she said.

Farnum began to drag race at such a young age, and the her family’s past has helped her to make the decision to join the sport.

“It’s kind of a family tradition because my mom, my stepmom, my dad, and my grandpa all did it before me,” said Farnum.

Seventh grade student Kylie Harris helps Farnum to prepare her car before she begins to race.

“Well, I help her to roll her car onto the track before she races,” said Harris.

Other than having the help of a friend to prepare for her races, her “grandpa is the one who works on the car,” said Farnum.

At her tournaments, Farnum’s family members, her crew, and her friends support her and enjoy it as well.

“I didn’t really know about drag racing before watching Makayla race, but it is so fun to watch, and I think it’s pretty cool,” said Harris.

Due to racing for numerous amounts of years, Farnum has improved her racing skills.

“When I started racing I could only go 45 miles per hour, but now I can go up to 85 miles per hour,” said Farnum.

After racing for four years, Farnum has developed a favorite part about drag racing.

“My favorite part is the speed,” said Farnum.

Drag racing may seem fun to some people, but every sport, including drag racing has its risks and dangers.

“Your car can flip over when you’re racing,” said Farnum.

Other than physical difficulties in the dangers of racing, money could potentially cause a financial problem for those who participate.

“I have to pay for all the parts, gas, tools, motor home, and a four wheeler. It has lasted since I was eight years old, but it usually adds up to 30,000 dollars. The car is 7,000 dollars,”said Farnum.

Although Farnum races for pleasure and the speed, she views drag racing as a skill that

may seem helpful in the future.

“I might race as a part time or maybe a side job in the future,” said Farnum.

Preparing and racing at tournaments requires a lot of determination and effort, which the racers are rewarded for.

“If you win all the rounds, then you get a big silver trophy, and if you get runner up, you get a small gold trophy. If you’re in a Wally race, a very important race, you get a big trophy. I’m the only person who has one a Wally in my family,” said Farnum.

Please view a pdf version of this story by clicking here.