NJHS inducts new members into club

The 17 new members of NJHS stand on the stage after being officially inducted into the club. The induction cermony took place on April 20 at 6:30.

Dubem Ezeanolue, Staff Writer

National Junior Honors Society (NJHS) is one of the most highly academic clubs. Filled with doing work for the community while keeping up grades to a certain standard. While balancing any after school sports or clubs.

NJHS is a school club that focus on leadership and academics for students between sixth through ninth grade. The club is located in many schools around the United States. ​

“It stands for National Junior Honors Society. It’s national organization, and they recognize students who excel in certain areas” said NJHS advisor, Mrs. Kathy Grant.

NJHS is based on five main components: scholarship, service, leadership, character, and citizenship. Students must meet the scholarship requirement to apply.

Many of the students that applied had reasons as to why they decided to apply. Some simply applied because their parents thought about their future, and want them to have something good on their college application.

“[I decided to apply for NJHS] because my mom made me,” said seventh grader Sarah Fridrich.

Others decided on their own to apply because they wanted to take on the task to helping others.

“I wanted to be in NJHS because the organization makes a difference in the community by serving others,” said seventh grader Margaret Skinner.

Students who decide to join NJHS must balance the different responsibilities that get added on to their schedules and maintain all their grades.

“It is very rare that they don’t keep up their grades, it has happened, but typically the kids that we select excel in any way, and they’re on track,” said Grant. “Not only are they in NJHS but they’re involved in sports, they’re involved in their church, they’re just very well-rounded, doing everything.”

For students to stay in NJHS, they must participate in 30 hours of community service and maintain a 3.75 grade point average.

Many students in NJHS must maintain after school sports, good grades, and good behavior.
“I think it will be a little hard at first because I will be in NJHS and I play club volleyball, but I think I’ll be able to do it,” said Skinner.

Though the responsibility for being in NJHS is large. The benefits include having a good college education to learning many helpful leadership skills by helping them become “good problem solvers, and idea contributors” according to the National Junior Honors Society website.

The induction ceremony for the 17 new NJHS members was April 20.

For the PDF version of this article click here NJHS