As Spring approaches track starts, many changes are occuring this season

Seventh grader Isabella Lucente runs her two lap warmup during track. Track season occurs in spring, students practice everyday preparing for track meets, which occur almost every weekend.

Brooke Neagle

Brooke Neagle, Staff Writer

In the spring, the sport track and field occurs, many students join track and improve on their running throughout the season. Runners work hard and compete in track meets every other weekend, training hard and practicing every day after school.

This track season has seen many changes. Former coach Nathaniel Hagge coached for eight years, but he is no longer the coach due to his move to Texas. This season has gained new coaches, and with these new coaches come changes.

“I feel like it’ll be fun to have new coaches,” said seventh grader Tori Fugitt.

Some students who did track last year had Mr. Hagge, and will miss him not being the coach anymore.

“I will definitely miss Mr. Hagge, but the new coaches are nice,” seventh grade Chloe Steigerwald said.

For the first time in Faith Lutheran track, testing will occur. In the past years, the track season did not include try outs; everyone automatically made the team. Although this year there will not be any cuts, track testing will still happen. Testing includes students running the 100 meter dash, 400 meter, and the mile while being timed.

“Having track testing is more pressure because I’ll probably have to work really hard so the coaches will like me, and hopefully get to go to Lake Havasu,” said Fugitt.

Another change this year, the track meet in Lake Havasu, Arizona. In the past years everyone on the track team traveled to Lake Havasu to compete. The new coaches have decided only the top fifty runners will travel to Havasu.

Many track runners are excited to have new coaches.

“I think the new coaches are nice and have a positive attitude,” said Matthew Thomas.

Middle School Athletic Director Ben Ersland  went through a big process of picking new track coaches. He looks for good coaches who can teach students well.

“I was looking for somebody who could handle the complex job of organizing everything that goes into handling many kids competing in a variety of events.” Ersland said. “I talked to several people but I was really excited when Mrs. Phelps wanted to do it because she had some really good ideas.”

Many students in track have goals and expectations for this season. Things the can improve on, work harder on, and goals they can accomplish if they work hard.

“My goals are that everyone tries hard this season, and that I will continue to be the undefeated 800 meter runner,” Fugitt said.

Not only do track runners have goals and expectations. Teachers and coaches also have important goals and expectations.

“My expectations for this season is that everyone in track approaches it as a way to have fun and also show personal growth. I expect that students come to practice to work hard and compete in meets it’ll be a good season,” said Ersland.

The new coaches are very excited about coaching track this year.

“What I’m most looking forward to is connecting with the kids, getting to know them, and helping them grow in their faith in God and their athletic ability,” said middle school track coach David Pendley.

Even with all the changes, new coaches, and impact on school, students still love running track and field.

“In track you can have fun with your friends, win track meets, compete in different competitions and try new things,” said Steigerwald.

For a pdf version of this story please click Track and field issue 5 pdf