Faith plays their final season in Division 1A

Kelsey Howryla

Sophomore Madison Bocobo shoots a three point shot against Mojave High School. Faith's varsity girls basketball team along with the rest of the high school will move up to Division 1 starting in the 2016-2017 year.

Kelsey Howryla, Staff Writer

Next year, Faith Lutheran high school sports will change from Division 1A to Division 1. Faith sports has scored enough points in the last two year cycle to move up to the next division to have a higher level of competition in the following years.

Faith’s score has shown in the last two year cycle their capability of moving up to the next division.

“We have scored more points than any other school in the Division 1A, and we scored enough points that it is required for us to make the jump to the next division,” said high school Athletic Director and boys varsity basketball coach Bret Walter.

The added competition when moving up to Division 1 does not concern most of the student athletes.

“I’m not worried about anything. As long as we have good coaching and our team gets along, we will be a good team,” said eighth grade student Sanniyah Haye.

As part of Division 1A for high school sports, Faith plays schools in the same division.

Faith will change divisions in the 2016-2017 school year, allowing them to play different schools. They will play new schools such as Bonanza High School, Bishop Gorman, and Desert Oasis next year. Moving up to Division 1 will give all the sports at Faith more competition.

“I don’t think it will change what we are doing with our high school sports, just our competition,” said Walter.

The change may lead to having more students interested in not only academics, but also sports.

“Those who are interested at competing on the highest level may be more interested in coming to our school,” said Walter. “If that is why they are coming to our school they are also coming for academics, religion, and all the other things that are important to our school.”

Students look forward to more competition in the following years.

“It will give more competition for our baseball program and it will help us improve our game,” said tenth grade student Josh Brown. “It will make us better as players and teammates.

Student athletes also look forward to the opportunities the change will give them.

“I play volleyball, basketball, and softball, and I think it will be better for us as a whole so we can work harder and be challenged more,” said ninth grade student, Clara Heislen.

Coaches at Faith also look forward to the change next year.

“We are welcomed to that challenge. It’s going to be nice to have a lot of games that are challenging instead of just two or three that are challenging,” said varsity softball coach Mr. John Chilman.

For a PDF version of the story please click here.