• October 20Tune in for all new story updates!

Cyrano de Burgershack: A modern twist on the classic play Cyrano de Bergerac

Back to Article
Back to Article

The cast of

The cast of "Cyrano de Burgershack" practices one week before show week. The original musical, "Cyrano de Bergerac" was created more than 100 years ago.

Photo by Dubem Ezeanolue

Photo by Dubem Ezeanolue

Photo by Dubem Ezeanolue

Dubem Ezeanolue, Staff Writer

The Faith Lutheran Middle School Musical, “Cyrano de Burgershack,”a twist on the original play “Cyrano de Bergerac”, will be a musical to remember with all the new modern twists that will occur.

“Cyrano de Burgershack” is a twist on the original classic, “Cyrano de Bergerac”. In the musical, Hercule Savinien Cyrano de Bergerac, a cadet in the French Army, is a gifted, joyful poet and musician. However, he has an extremely large nose, which is the reason why he doubts himself.

His doubt prevents him from showing his love for his distant cousin, the beautiful and intellectual heiress Roxane, because he believes that he is to ugly to be ever loved by even an ugly woman.

“Cyrano de Burgershack” and many other Faith Lutheran middle school plays are directed by Mr. Dave Elliot. Elliot picks a classic broadway musical and puts a twist on it like dancing, makeup or props.

“This is the first year we’ve done one that’s not really well known all the other ones we’ve done in the past have been broadway shows or fractions of broadway shows” said director, Mr. Dave Elliot

For some in this musical this may be a one time thing for others it is a passion.

“I have been doing the shows since sixth grade and I really like them” said eighth grader, Daniel Antonino, who plays Christian in the musical.

Many lead role actors have been acted for a long time while others have just started acting and landed a major-lead role. For many actors this is not their first play.

“Musical theater is a passion of mine, and I’ve liked it ever since my first show at my grandma’s church” said sixth grader Ava Rodgers, who plays DJ in the musical.

Though some actors in this musical expected to get the parts they got, some did not see themselves getting a lead role.

“I expected to get ensemble because sixth graders usually don’t get lead roles, but I was really excited when I got this,” said Rodgers.

There comes many difficulties for people in the musical, like singing, and for others dancing or even memorizing all their lines.

“I guess the hardest thing for me is memorizing my lines,” said Antonino.

For any musical play to happen, a well driven director is needed that will help guide all the cast in the creation of the play or musical. It also takes certain qualities to become a director.

“I think you need to have patience, I think you need to have a vision of what you want but you also need to be able to let students play with the characters to discover themselves,” said assistant director, Mr. Michael Kuhn.

In the end it all comes down to show week, during the performances there might be a few mistake but it all turns out alright.

“Even when we go to show there will something that we could of spent more time on or worked on, but these kids work so hard and it’s going to be a fabulous production,” said Elliott.

“Cyrano de Burger Shack” will run days March 4-6. Ticket prices range from $5-$12. Students can buy tickets at www.faithlutheranlv.org.