Students at Faith learn how to balance both school and sports at the same time

Photo courtesy of Hanna Karl

Eighth grader Hanna Karl competes in a tournament in Tucson, Arizona for club. Student athletes have to learn how to balance both school and sports.

Kylie Capuano, Editor

Going to school and participating in sports at the same time can become overwhelming. In spite of this, some students at Faith have managed to maintain good grades while excelling in their sport.

Many students do their homework after they get home from practice.

“After volleyball, I come home, and I get straight to the books for a good three hours,” said eighth grade volleyball player Maddie Sweeney.

Student athletes find motivation to get good grades for various reasons. Sweeney finds her motivation by thinking about her future.

“Going to a good college motivates me. I also like seeing an A on my paper; it’s nice,” said Sweeney.

Another reason students strive to maintain good grades is because it affects their sport.

“If I get anything lower than a C, then my coach will pull me out,” said eighth grade volleyball player Hanna Karl.

Many parents would pull their kid out temporarily from their sport if they receive bad grades in order for them to focus on school.

“My mom would probably pull me out if I received bad grades because she wants me to do well in school,” said eighth grade basketball player AJ Vanchieri.

Having practice and a lot homework in one day can become stressful due to the lack of time, but student athletes know how to stay calm in situations like these.

“If I have tons of homework, but I know the material, then it shouldn’t be too hard for me to finish,” said Karl.

Middle School Athletic Director Mr. Ben Ersland said that sports can actually have a positive effect on students’ grades. But if students start slacking on their school work, they can become stressed.

“Much research shows that playing a sport has a positive effect on grades,” said Ersland via email. “If students use sports as an excuse to not stay on top of their classwork, and fall behind, they can become very stressed.”

Karl, along with other student athletes, practices almost everyday and manages to make it onto the scholar honor roll.

“I practice six days a week for two hours each practice,” said Karl, who has been on the scholar honor roll for all three years at Faith.

Many students view school as their priority over sports.

“School comes first of course, because that will get me into a good college,” said Sweeney. “I don’t think I’m going to do anything with volleyball. I just do it because it’s fun.”

Playing a sport can teach students good habits at a young age.

“Prioritizing time and putting first things first are valuable skills that help people be effective their whole lives,” said Ersland via email. “If student athletes practice these skills by making and sticking to a plan to do homework first during their unscheduled times, they’ll not only keep their grades up, they’ll build healthy habits for a lifetime.”

To see the PDF version of this story please click this link: student athlete pdf