Middle school and high school join together, students find benifits and drawbacks

High school and middle school gather together before school in the student center. Middle and high school often join together before and after school, a lot of middle school students enjoy the opportunity to go to school with high school students.

Brooke Neagle

Brooke Neagle, Staff Writer

Not many schools include middle school and high school. With so many people all in one campus a lot of students can be affected. Many middle school students have different opinions on high school and middle school joining together on one campus. Most eight graders when they graduate, they have to go to a whole new school, but Faith Lutheran is different.

“It’s convenient that we don’t have to completely change schools when we go to high school,” seventh grader Eden O’sullivan said.

By the time eighth graders graduate and get ready to go to high school, most don’t have to face the struggles of making new friends in their new school, getting used to new teachers, and getting used to a whole new environment.

A lot of students like having high school  on   the same campus, and  can find positives about high school and high school students.

“If you have siblings in high school you’re siblings can take you to school. Also there are people who can give you advice about high school,” said middle schooler Eva Silvestri.

Also middle school students can have a look at what their future as a high schooler might be.

“The positives are middle schoolers get to see what high school is like and also how busy our schedule will be in a few years,” seventh grader Skye Landaz said.

However, some students don’t agree that having a high school affects students positively.

“It’s bad that the hallways are always crowded,” said Sarah Brown middle school student.

Some students feel that having a high school takes away attention from them, and middle school. With so many people in one school it’s hard to focus on everyone. For example high school sports.

“A lot people go to high school sports games rather than middle school. And high school sports are a bigger deal than middle school,” Silvestri said.

High school students can also influence students positively. Some high school students even help some middle school students.

“I have a friend in high school who helps me with homework,” Brown said.

High school students can be very helpful to middle school, they can teach middle school and mentor them.

“High schoolers had mentor classes in sixth grade where they mentored us,” said Katie Peccole. Many middle school students are affected by high school. Overall high school has a lot of impact on middle school.

“I enjoy sharing a school with high school because there’s people you can learn from, and a lot of people to help you,” said Silvestri.

To read a pdf version of the story please click here.