Faith Lutheran’s wrestling team prepares to compete in final tournaments of season

Eighth grader Kile Driscoll competes in a wrestling tournament. If the wrestlig team does well in the regional tournament, they will qualify for state.

Photo Courtesy of Kile Driscoll

Kylie Capuano, Editor

“The goal for wrestling is to instill the love of the sport in the students, and to help them want to work hard, want to get better, and want to succeed,” said assistant coach Mr. Daniel Buikema in regards to Faith’s middle school wrestling team.

The middle school wrestling team practices three nights every week and competes in a tournament almost every Saturday. The wrestling team will participate in regionals and then after the regional tournament there will be a state tournament. Teams will participate in the state tournament depending on how well they do at the regional tournament.

Coaches have seen their team improve throughout watching them compete during tournaments.

“The improvement is in the mind when you are talking about wrestling, it’s getting to the point when you recognize how hard you have to work to actually be good at the sport,” said Buikema. “I would say that the biggest improvement is seeing it in the eyes of the kid, when they know that it doesn’t matter if they lose the match. What matters is how hard they have worked and what they are doing.”

Students who began wrestling this season have improved throughout the season.

“A lot of the wrestlers are really new to the sport, they came in and worked really hard,” said head coach Mr. Grant Rolfsmeier. “They have improved from the very first day where they didn’t know much, to now where they can do a lot of different things.”

The wrestling team consists of 19 students, their weight and the year of their birth determines who the student competes against for matches. Due to the fact that there are no cuts for wrestling, if a boy joins the team that has never wrestled before, they have to be prepared to wrestle against kids who have been wrestling for a long time. The skill of a wrestler does not decide who they wrestle against, so someone who is new to wrestling will have to also go against people who have been playing the sport for a while.

Many students joined the wrestling team because they enjoy the sport.

“I joined the team because I like wrestling and it sounded fun to beat up, people and pin them,” said eighth grader Kile Driscoll.

Driscoll has seen himself improve throughout the season and has set a goal for himself.

“I moved up a higher level so I wrestle better people now. My goal for the season is to win state,” said Driscoll.

To see the pdf of this layout, please click this link: wrestling team pdf