Kris Bryant: Record Breaking Rookie

Bryant getting ready with his National League teamates for the All-Star game. The All-Star game this year was held at Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati.

Photo Courtesy of photosforclass.com

Chris Schwarz, Staff Writer

This year, history happened For only the second time in MLB history, a player, born and raised in Vegas, won Rookie of the Year. Kris Bryant, infielder for the Chicago Cubs, is the 2015 Rookie of the Year winner. The only other time a Vegas player won was in 2012 when Nationals outfielder and Bryant’s former teammate, Bryce Harper, won.

Bryant was selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 2013 draft with the second overall draft pick. On April 17, 2015, Bryant had his MLB Debut. Bryant went 0-4 with three strikeouts, but made a good play. Postgame, Joe Madden, the manager for the Cubs joked “Well, we did bring him (Bryant) up for his glove.”

According to MLB.com, Bryant had his first hit April 18, 2015, a RBI single. Bryant’s first grand slam came on June 17 in the 17-0 win against the Cleveland Indians. On July 4, he had a two home run game with another grand slam. He is the first player since 1961 to hit two grand slams in his rookie year. On Sept. 2, Bryant hit a 495 foot homerun, the longest of the MLB season. He finished the year with 26 home runs, the most of any Cubs rookie ever. He also broke a record for most RBI’s(runs batted in) by a Cubs rookie ever with 99. These are the record-breaking stats that won Bryant the title of National League Rookie of the Year.

Scouted by the Toronto Blue Jays out of Bonanza high school, Bryant rejected the offer and focused on his education. Instead, went and played for the University of San Diego. As a sophomore, he was selected by USA baseball to play for the US Collegiate National team. As a junior in 2013, he hit 31 home runs to lead the nation. It was also the most hit since players had to use composite bats in 2011. According to UniversityofSanDiego.com Kris won the Golden Spikes award and the Dick Howser award, both awarded to the top college player in the nation.

Bryant’s life has been filled with baseball and hard work. Blake Barrett, a Faith seventh grader has known Bryant for about 5 years,“Kris is the kind of guy that if he borrows your car he will always bring it back with a full tank of gas.”

Alec Barrett, seventh grader, also knows Bryant personally.

“His best quality is his mindset and work ethic, he is always 110% on and off the field.” said Alec.

Bryant was named high school salutatorian, but allowed a classmate to have it when he found out how much she wanted it. In college, he majored in biology before switching to finance. He and Bryce Harper grew up as acquaintances in the Las Vegas, and began playing baseball together when they were nine. They greeted each other  for the first time in  the MLB together in May, when the nationals played at Wrigley field. When they played together, Harper gave him the nickname “Silk.”

To view a PDF version of this click Kris Bryant PDF