How religious education can affect Faith Lutheran and students’ lives every day

Applied Christianity class rehearses for chapel. They set up props, practice their skits, and read from the Bible. Chapel is a privilege parochial schools have; it is meant to help students grow in their faith. Teachers even provide a special message.

Photo by Brooke Neagle

Brooke Neagle, Staff Writer

Not all many schools have the privilege to allow students and teachers to talk and teach about their faith. Teaching about the Bible and learning all about religion can affect many students lives.

Parochial schools can impact students greatly. By learning about the Bible and religion some student’s views become different. Religious education affects many students, at school and at home.

“Religious education affects my life because it tells me more about Jesus so that I can believe in Him and have a better life,” seventh grader Katrina Brown said.

Students enjoy learning about religious subjects because of all the things they learn, and because of how the teachers make it fun and more comfortable.

Faith Lutheran has a chapel once every week. Chapel is led by Applied Christianity class that reads the Bible, performs skits, and teaches about faith. Chapel makes many students feel comfortable with religious teachings because all the teachers and students gather together to sing, laugh and learn.

Students have different opinions on how much they enjoy religious education. Most students enjoy having religious education for many reasons.

“Yes I enjoy religious education because since I’m in applied you get to teach people about God because you are passing on what you know to students,” Camryn Buikema seventh grader in applied Christianity said.

Religious education has mostly positive affects, but it can also affect kids negatively. Some students at Faith Lutheran don’t have strong religion, or even religion at all. Which can cause non-believers or non-Christians to feel a bit strange in theology, or chapel. But with these negatives, positive affects come as well.

“Positives are you get to know more about your religious rights and religion. Negatives are some students could have different opinions,” John Kolesar seventh grader at Faith Lutheran said.

Mainly it’s the students affected by religious teachings, but teachers can be impacted too. Teachers get to preach about the Bible almost everyday.

“I enjoy teaching religion more than anything,” David Pendley, Old and New Testament teacher said.

“It makes my heart feel whole getting to serve and love God,” he said.

Teachers try the best they can to impact students.

“My prayer is that my teaching affects students in eternal ways,” said Pendley.

Students express positive and negative affects of going to a parochial school, but even teachers have their opinion on positive and negatives.

Faith Lutheran Middle School and High School would become very different without religion. Faith Lutheran teaches students all about Christianity and the Bible. Now every student can speak freely of their faith. Some students went to public school before, so religious education is new to them.

“I enjoy private school more than public school because I get to learn about where I came from, I get to learn about the holidays, and the campus is better,” Natalie Othick former public school student said.

“I like private school better then public because the people and teachers are nicer, I get to wear uniforms, and I get to learn more about religion.” Eva Silvestri said

Please click the link to see a pdf version of the story: Religious Education