Which is better?

School sports vs. club sports

Photo by Anna Grace Bricker

Gwyn O’donnell and Caitlyn Choi smile into the crowd as they participate in a cheer during a boys' basketball game. O’donnell is on the Faith Lutheran cheer team and used to participate in club cheer.

Anna Grace Bricker, Staff Writer

Students at Faith  Lutheran compete in both school and club sports, sometimes at the same time. One of the constant conflicts of the school year is students having to choose between school sports or club sports, which often conflict in one way or another. Students often find themselves having to choose between school and club sports.

Jackie Hillegass, a seventh grader at Faith who plays both school and club sports, chooses club sports over school sports.

“[I choose] club because I know you can get scholarships with school, but you can also get scholarships with club,” said Hillegass, “and there’s more college coaches watching club, so you get into schools better.”

Camryn Buikema, a seventh grade student who plays school and club sports, disagrees.

“I think school sports are better [because] the people on the team are people that you mostly know, and it’s free,” said Buikema.

No matter which students like better, school or club, everyone can agree that students can find pros and cons for both.

“I think that the benefits of playing for one of our Middle School coaches are huge,” said Ersland. “We try to make the school’s mission a prime focus of our school sports, so preparing students for life is an important goal of our coaches.”

School sports also help out some of the athletes’ parents, especially with driving. Most club practices are not very close, so some parents drive ten minutes or more to get athletes to practice.

“It’s fun to do something at Faith and not have to drive out to practice,” said Elli Deibert, a seventh grader at Faith who plays multiple school sports.

One of the rules at Faith Lutheran for playing school sports states that students can’t fail a class and still play school sports. So, not only does playing school sports improve students’ skills, but it helps them in the classroom.

“When you play school sports you have to keep your grades up, so it keeps your grades up instead of going down, and if you get bad grades you get kicked off the team,” said Hillegass.

Students at Faith Lutheran have a real privilege that not many students have, they can “glorify God in what [they] do,” said Ersland.

But, with the pros come the cons.

“We have limitations on facilities and time and the number of kids that can participate in school sports, and so the schedule is inconvenient at times for families,” said Ersland.

One of the main disappointments in school sports is when students don’t make it and “get cut from the team,” said Deibert.

Pros and cons don’t only exist for school sports, but also for club.

“It offers highly motivated students a chance to work on some skills,” said Ersland. “Sometimes the level of competition can be such as to push a kid appropriately.”

With the pros come the cons to playing club sports.

“Sometimes I think that the goals of some of the club coaches aren’t necessarily, not on purpose,  but I think not necessarily for the good of the student sometimes,” said Ersland. “I think maybe the club coaches have goals as far as trying to have student’s just be committed to that coach, to help that coach win, not necessarily looking long term for a students benefit as far as what they can learn when they’re done playing the sport.”

If you want to see a layout version of this story, click on this link: school vs club sports layout