• October 20Tune in for all new story updates!

Students and teachers anticipate the holiday movie season with the release of many new exciting films

In+this+shot+from+the+upcoming+%22Star+Wars%3A+The+Force+Awakens%22+the+Millenium+Falcon+is+dodging+fire+from+upcoming+the+fighters.+Many+films+are+coming+this+holiday+season%3B+major+blockbusters+and+indie+films+alike++
Back to Article
Back to Article

In this shot from the upcoming

In this shot from the upcoming "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" the Millenium Falcon is dodging fire from upcoming the fighters. Many films are coming this holiday season; major blockbusters and indie films alike

Photo Courtesy of Lucasfilm

Photo Courtesy of Lucasfilm

Photo Courtesy of Lucasfilm

Louis De Salvio, Staff Writer

Although the summer movie season is regarded as the best season for moviegoers, the holiday season comes in at a close second. This winter, studious will release highly anticipated films such as “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” and award contenders like “Trumbo.”

The first movie Spectre, released on November 6, 2015 and the film currently resides at 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, making it fresh. The reviews for the film so far have been coming in less than the score for the previous Daniel Craig entries “Casino Royale” and “Skyfall” which have a 93 and 95 score.

“Spectre” opened on October 26, 2015 in the U.K. making a record smashing 80.4 million dollars according to Box Office Mojo. In America the film opened with a 70 million dollar opening and has a total worldwide gross of 550 million dollars on a 249 million budget not including the millions in advertising for the film.

Eighth Grader Matthew Tomita enjoys the 007 films and can’t wait to see “Spectre..”

“I really love the Daniel Craig Bond Films I think he adds a flair to the franchise I myself have seen “Casino Royale”, “Die Another Day”, and “Skyfall”.” Tomita is anticipating the next film of the franchise. “This is a movie I definitely want to see on the big screen and will see it opening weekend,” Tomita said.

“The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2” which arrives in U.S. theatres on November 21, 2015 is a highly anticipated release and has been ever since the somewhat disappointing “Mockingjay Part 1”. The film has a lot of hype from fans of the franchise. Many expect a lot of things from the film and hope that the film will live up to their expectations. The film currently sits at an 71% on Rotten Tomatoes, second highest in the franchise after “Hunger Games: Catching Fire”.

Student Teacher Brittney Erdmann is looking forward to the film and has read multiple books. Erdmann has many expectations for the film.

“I have read all three of the books in the Hunger Games Trilogy. I became a fan while reading the books. I hope the movie will clearly show the scenes of the novel,” said Erdmann

“The Good Dinosaur” opens on November 25 in American theaters, the film from Disney Pixar that has been slightly hidden from mainstream media but, after the fantastically critically reviewed Inside Out which has a 98% and is certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Since then the film has come outfull fledge with advertising campaign with trailers, tv spots, and film clips. Although the film has had many cast changes and has gone through multiple directors it finally landed on Peter Sohn. One thing the film has been highly praised for is the almost real looking backgrounds critics have also judged for the very animated looking dinosaurs.

Some students at Faith Lutheran are excited for the film. Seventh grader Shea Keyes is excited especially after “Inside Out,” this year.

“I believe that “The Good Dinosaur” will be good, especially after “Inside out”, also the advertisements for the film looks good.”

Finally, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is one of the most anticipated films of the yearand some have predicted to have one of the biggest opening weekends for a movie ever. Also some believe it will maybe reach the status of highest grossing film ever. This is the year that everyone is becoming a“Star Wars” fan. Presale tickets sites like Fandango have crashed due to the massive rush of fans going to their computers to buy tickets.

Eight grader Corey Martin has seen many of the films and enjoys them.

“ I have seen a few films and am a fan of the franchise. I can’t wait to see the next one asit looks really good and interesting. Although I have not bought my tickets, I do believe thiswill be the highest grossing film ever.”

Many teachers are also anticipating the film and can’t wait.

As moviegoers can see, this upcoming winter movie season they will get a bang for theirbuck and will definitely be traveling down to the theater more often.

To View a PDF layout version of this story click here Movie-Story.pdf