Beginning this school year, Faith Lutheran will now offer a Snowboard and Ski Club

Eighth grader Ryan Weigend snowboards down a hill in Brekenridge, Colorado. Students can join the club if they want to learn how to snowboard or ski.

Photo credit to Ryan Wiegend

Kylie Capuano, Editor

Beginning in January, Faith Lutheran will now offer middle school and high school students the opportunity to participate in a Snowboard and Ski club.

On December 3, an interest meeting will be held in the library after school for any students who are considering joining Snowboard and Ski club. All students are accepted, even if they have no experience in snowboarding or skiing. There is no fee to join the club, but students will have to pay for their own equipment and lift tickets.

The club was started to allow students to have fun while snowboarding or skiing.

“The purpose of the club is to give students the opportunity to snowboard or ski with their friends and enjoy time together,” saidSnowboard and Ski club advisor Bryan Carmichael via email. “The goal is for everyone to have a great time enjoying the snow”.

The club will begin taking ski and snowboard trips in January and will travel to Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort, and Brian Head Utah for a total of five trips. Trips will occur on Saturdays early in the morning and will end that same day at a later time. The club will conclude the first weekend of March when they take their last trip.

Students will have the opportunity to learn or strengthen their skill in skiing or snowboarding while on the trips.

“I can certainly try to help students learn how to ski or snowboard if they wish, but the resorts will also be offering lessons from an instructor,” said Carmichael via email.

Carmichael decided to advise the club because he “really [enjoys] snowboarding with [his] daughter, McKenzie, and thought it would be a great way to be involved with her school.”

Some students who snowboard or ski would rather do it apart from the club

“I’m not going to participate because I’d rather snowboard on my own time and I feel like I would be more limited in the club,” said eighth grader Ryan Weigend.

Other students look forward to the club beginning.

“I’m excited to go on trips and to be apart of a big club, and to get to know people better,” said sixth grader McKenzie Carmichael.

If students or parents have any questions about Snowboard and Ski Club, they can contact Carmichael at his mobile number (832) 494-7588. They can also attend the informational meeting on December 3.

To see the layout of this story, please click the following link: snowboard and ski pdf