Operation Christmas Child

Sharing the Gospel with kids all around the world

Kelsey Howryla, Staff Writer

“We are a Christian school, and we care about everybody around the world who need love, support and help,” said eighth grade student Megyn Bowline about why Faith Lutheran does Operation Christmas Child.

Operation Christmas Child, Faith Lutheran’s Charity of the month for November, shares the gospel with less fortunate kids all around the world.

“ The organizers realized that you can’t tell children Jesus loves them when they are poor and don’t have anything,” said Katie Wiltse, Faith Lutheran theology teacher. “It was a way of giving them a gift and teaching them that Jesus gives them the gift of salvation.”

Sixth grade teacher, Karen Walo, and Wiltse organize the Operation Christmas Child Drive at Faith Lutheran. Theology teachers informed students of this charity, and Builders Club and Key Club helped by getting people involved and making boxes, posters, bookmarks, and other papers. Boxes from around the nation were collected on November 16 – 23.

According to Samaritan’s Purse, 150 countries and territories around the world receive a total of over 124 million boxes full of gifts every year.

To receive a box, students can use their own shoe box from home or pre-order a decorated box from Samaritan’s Purse. After creating a box, students must send a seven dollar check with the box for shipping fees or pay online. Students can buy a tracking label on Samaritan’s Purse’s website for seven dollars to find where their box was sent.

If someone does not meet the National drop-off week, they can still create boxes. Boxes, collected year-round, can be sent to any drop-off location. Drop-off locations can be found on Operation Christmas Child’s website,http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/operation-christmas-child.

“The boxes go to Regional Drop-Off locations where they are boxed into groups of 20-25 and then are trucked to the main distribution centers which are in North Carolina, California, and Hawaii,” said Wiltse.

After volunteers check the boxes for proper items, theysend them around the world.

With over 4,000 drop-off locations, Faith Lutheran students and teacher collect the boxes during chapel and send them to Orange County, California.

In Orange County, the boxes are double-checked on the requirements of the boxes. Samaritan’s Purse does not allow items such as liquids, non-perishable foods, war related items, breakable items, or medicine. At these stations, they also check for under-packed boxes. If underpacked, volunteers add more items to the box. Volunteers help will all of the preparations for delivery. The countries that receive boxes vary from year to year.

According to Operation Christmas Child’s website, volunteers have stated, “Many of the children attended the distribution event…We presented the Gospel to the children through a drama showing Zacchaeus’ encounter with Jesus. The drama was very powerful, and several children accepted the Lord… It was a blessed and rewarding day. To God we give the glory.”

To see the PDF version of this story click here Operation Christmas Child