Students use Donuts for Diabetes to raise funds and awareness of Type 1 Diabetes

Photo courtesy of Sarah Crowder

Hailey Gravitt and Katie Crowder sell donuts to the students at Faith Lutheran on a Friday morning. This fundraiser took place every Friday of Septmeber to raise awareness for Type 1 Diabetes at Faith Lutheran.

Kelsey Howryla

At Faith Lutheran, as the charity of the month for September, students sell donuts every Friday to raise awareness for Type 1 Diabetes. This fundraiser, Called Donuts for Diabetes, gives all the raised money to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).

JDRF, an organization trying to create a world without Type 1 Diabetes, are organizing fundraisers to collect money for their research.

JDRF researchers plan to find a way to treat, prevent, and eventually cure Type 1 Diabetes. Type 1 Diabetes affects over 370 million people throughout the world.

JDRF.org stated that type 1 diabetes, an autoimmune disease that affects a person’s pancreas, not allowing a person to produce insulin, a hormone that allows people to get energy from food.

Diabetes is caused by a person’s immune system attacking and destroying the body’s insulin-producing cells, called beta cells.

Scientists do not fully understand how to get diabetes, but they know, a person’s diet or lifestyle does not cause Type 1 Diabetes.

“A lot of people have the wrong idea that eating unhealthy gives you Type 1 Diabetes, and I think this helps prove that that is not true,” said sixth grade diabetic, Katie Crowder.

This charity, ran by Hailey Gravitt, Dina Ciulla, and Julie Netski ran throughout September before school. Together, they raised a total of over $1500. This fundraiser is very personal to Gravitt.

“I chose this charity because it is personal to me because I have Type 1 Diabetes,” said twelfth grader Hailey Gravitt.

Many people love the idea of selling donuts to help fund research to cure Type 1 Diabetes.

“Well who doesn’t like donuts,” said seventh grader Gracie Rice about selling donuts every Friday.

Julie Buuck, Faith Student Activities Director, is in charge of the monthly charities at Faith.

“There’s a total of ten students on our campus that are diabetics,” said Buuck.

Crowder, has had diabetes for 3 years, and she says it has affected her tremendously.

“Diabetes has made me more responsible and understanding how others go through tough times too,” said Crowder.

Crowder loves the idea of selling donuts and has helped with Donuts for Diabetes by helping every Friday by selling donuts, and buying donuts for her whole class on Friday.