Faith Lutheran Little Crusader Volleyball Clinic teaches basic volleyball skills

Photo courtesy to Amy Fisher

Faith Lutheran High School volleyball player helps a girl during camp learn how to underhand serve. All of the girls will later take part in scrimmages.

Kylie Capuano, Staff Writer

Girls in grades three through six who are interested in playing volleyball can attend the Little Crusader Volleyball Clinic from May 4 to June 8.

The Little Crusader Volleyball Clinic helps third to sixth grade girls improve on the fundamentals of volleyball, such as setting, hitting, passing, and serving. For some parts of the clinic, girls that attend the camp are split up into groups based on their skill level in order to practice drills and play volleyball games with fellow camp participants that are at the same skill level as them. Toward the end of the five weeks of camp, the groups that they were split into participate in scrimmages of volleyball against other groups. People can come watch the scrimmages if they want to.

The clinic takes place in the Arena and the auxiliary gym located at Faith Lutheran. In order for the girls to sign up for the camp, their parents had to fill out a form on the Faith Lutheran website for the camp, or they could come to the camp and sign up there. The fee to join the camp cost $140. Although students can join later on, the camp is coming to an end, and it would be better to join next year.

The clinic was created in 2009 by the Faith Lutheran varsity volleyball coaches Amy Fisher and LeeAnn Kronschnabel.

“We wanted to expose young athletes to a great game they can play their entire life. We wanted to improve volleyball in the Las Vegas Valley,” said Fisher via email. “We also wanted to expose more young people to Faith Lutheran and all the great things this school has to offer.”

Fisher, Kronschnabel, Sharia Washington, Chelsea Kronschnabel, and some of the Faith Lutheran high school volleyball players work with the young athletes for five weeks in order to improve their volleyball skills.

Fisher hopes that the people who attend the camp will learn more about volleyball.

“Our goals are to have the young athletes be exposed to volleyball and to improve on their skills and of course have fun,” said Fisher.

The coaches of the clinic enjoy seeing how the athletes improve at volleyball.

“It’s rewarding seeing where the young girls come in at the beginning of the clinic and where they finish with how much their skills have improved in just five weeks,” said Fisher via email. “It’s also amazing to see our high school players interact and teach the younger athletes. Our high school players grow as players themselves having to teach the skills they must perform everyday.”

Many students that decided to attend the clinic in the past saw it as a opportunity to become better at volleyball.

“I love volleyball, and it helped me to improve on skills that I needed help on, and it would help me to maybe make the middle school volleyball team,” said seventh grader Olivia Cox.

Seventh grader Nicola Talbot would recommend attending the camp to others.

“I would recommend it to younger kids because they talk about and can help with basic skills,” said Talbot.