National Junior Art Honor Society perfects art skills one brushstroke at a time

Brandon Roberts

NJAHS student working on a art piece inspired from a photo of a tiger. NJAHS students learn the art skills they need to persue their passion in artistry.

Brandon Roberts, Editor

“At National Junior Art Honor Society (NJAHS) we don’t really come to socialize and make lots of friends,” said eighth grader Ashley Uelman. “We go there to improve our art skills for the future.”

Students usually do not know about NJAHS as much as NJHS. Both clubs help improve skills that students will need for the future. NJHAS focuses on art skills a student will need for the future, while NJHS focuses on the schooling and learning skills a student will need.

Students sometimes mix up NJAHS with the Art and Doodle club, when in reality they fall in very different categories. NJAHS focuses more on art and has students who have a passion for art for a career. Art and Doodle Club on the other hand, focuses on more doodling and making fun art projects to display.

“When you look at one of our projects, and one of the art and doodle club projects, you can see a key difference,” said eighth grader Cierra Lowell. “Our projects seem a little bit more serious and imaginative while the Art and Doodle club projects look really fun and exciting.”

NJAHS meet to do these activities every Friday 3:30-5:00 after school, but they do more than just paint.

“Some of our activities include field trips to view art, hands on workshops to learn new techniques, and participating in art contests,” said NJAHS co-advisor Kimberly Gilman.

Any student wanting to enhance their art skills can join NJAHS, but they must participate as much as possible.

“Our students must attend a certain number of meetings each semester, have above a B in their current art class, complete & submit independent art works, and do arts related community service in order to earn points,” said Gilman. “Students are required to earn a certain number of points each semester in order to remain in art honor society.”

Students looking for a serious environment for learning about art and skills to improve their own should consider NJAHS. The competitions that the students can go to national levels to go against top art schools.

“I didn’t really feel challenged enough in a regular art class, and I wanted to learn more,” said eighth grader Hannah Cahlan. “I feel NJAHS has really helped me with challenging my skills I have, and I feel ready to pursue my art career.”

Faith Lutheran Art teachers Ms. Gilman and Ms. Buchholtz have helped these students find confidence in their art skills and readied them for the upcoming world ahead of the students.

“The main goal of NJAHS is to develop creativity and self motivation in students who have an interest in the visual arts,” said Gilman. “Students are able to try new techniques and art media and have a variety of visual arts experiences at our meetings.”

Participation counts for everything in NJHAS. Guilman and Buchholtz also encourage students to present their work outside of school and enter it into competitions.

“Three of our NJAHS students had work accepted into the prestigious Scholastic Art and Writing Awards Regional show at the Springs Preserve in February,” said Gilman. “This was our first year entering the show, and I hope we will have more entries next year.”