Faith Lutheran honors middle and high school students involved in the Fine Arts

Faith’s Conservatory of the Fine Arts seniors receive their graduation medals. The medals honor each senior’s participation in the Conservatory.

Tori Amen, Editor

Faith Lutheran Middle School and High School hosted a night dedicated to recognizing the talents and achievements of Fine Arts students on May 26, 2015 in Faith’s Chapel and Performing Arts Center (CPAC).

The Fine Arts awards recognized students both in middle school and high school who excel in their disciplines. These students show leadership skills, improvement, and a deep love and respect for the Arts.

Each branch of the Arts presented awards; dance, instrumentals, vocals, visual arts, and theater all recognized their top students.

This year, the Senior Conservatory Showcase was paired with the awards. The showcase involved all the seniors graduating from Faith’s Conservatory of the Fine Arts presenting their talents before they leave Faith.

These performances are spread throughout the entire awards ceremony. The seniors performed in groups of two or more, and spend a great deal of time preparing their performances, according to the Dean of Fine Arts, Emily Ball. The students also received their graduation medals at the event.

Teachers consider a variety of aspects when deciding who to award. Contrary toan academic award, which is based on numbers, a Fine Arts award has much more to it.

“Those students who win the awards are those that go above and beyond to improve in their craft. Most show a deep love, respect, and appreciation for their art,”said Ball via email.

Eighth grade student, Hannah Cahlan, who won the seventh grade visual artist of the year award in the 2013-2014 school year, definitely has passion and heart for the Arts.

“I am very passionate about art, and it’s something I want to do as a career,” said Cahlan.

Most disciplines offered awards for the top male and female students in both Middle school and High school. However, some gave out specialized awards to their students. For example, the instrumental music branch presented the John Philip Souse Band Award and the Louis Armstrong Jazz Award.

Faith also awarded students with Top Honor awards, which covered a student’s entire career at the school, according to Ball.

Winning an award has a positive impact on the students. It gives them an incentive to continue to succeed in their branch of the Arts and hopefully receive another award.

“It’s really nice to be able to say ‘I won an award for being an awesome artist’,” said eighth grade student Cierra Lowell, who was nominated for the seventh grade visual artist of the year award in the 2013-2014 school year.

To see a pdf version of this story, please click the following link: Fine Arts Awards