The Choir and Handbells classes performed at their last concert of the year

Xavier Covarrubias

The 6th grade choir singing Catch a Falling Star at the concert. This performance showed that the choir students have improved since the beginning of the year.

Xavier Covarrubias, Staff Writer

Hosted by Mrs. Sandra Youmans, the Choir and Handbells concert proved the advancement of the 6th grade choir, MS Treble Choir, and Handbell courses. These classes, along with the high school groups, performed at the CPAC on May 19, 2015. The concert was free, and everyone was invited to attend.

The MS Treble Choir sang the songs “Cups” and “Go Away From My Window.” Along with Choir, the Handbell class performed with five octaves of Schulmerich Handbells and four octaves of Hand chimes. Youmans chose the Schulmerich Handbells because countless universities, handbell ensembles, and churches agreed that these were the sounds of choice.

The MS Handbells played “Passacaglia”, “German Melody”, “Scottish Melody”, and “America the Beautiful”.

In this concert, the kids did not have any fear to perform since they have already performed in other concerts.

“At the beginning of the year, the kids were afraid to perform. They were a little more shy at the Fall concert in October. But, I think by this time of the year, they’ve gained more confidence in performing,” said Youmans prior to the event.

However, students like sixth grader Isabella Dalton were still a little bit afraid to go perform.

“I’m always nervous to go perform, I have stage fright, so it’s really nerve racking,” said Dalton prior to the event.

Youmans also said that the kids were ready for this concert.

“The choir students are very prepared. We have been working on our songs for several months,” said Youmans via email.

Students like seventh grader Isabelle Cottingham also thought that she and her classmates were prepared.

“I think we’re very prepared for it, we practiced in our groups and everyone memorized the songs,” said Cottingham prior to the event.