Anonymous Faith Lutheran students spread positivity around campus

Caroline, Editor

In modern day society, normal activity seen on social media usually includes hate speech, insults, and other forms of negativity.  Sometimes against the odds, negative issues aren’t the only thing spread around social media.

Starting in late February, an anonymous Faith Lutheran student decided to spread positive remarks and compliments about their fellow peers. Months later, an anonymous sixth grader followed the example.

Utilizing the social media app Instagram, the two students worked separately under accounts with the names of “@faith.compliments,” and “@flms6compliments.”

@Faith.compliments wrote specifically about seventh and eighth graders, and sometimes limited to one single word, sentence, or emoji (emoticons). They also sometimes merged students together with the same compliments.

@Flms6compliments chose to only write on sixth graders. They elaborated on all sixth graders alike, and gave each an individual post.

As of April 28, 2015, thirty-seven sixth graders (@flms6compliments), ten seventh graders, and twenty eighth graders (@faith.compliments) have had compliments given to them.

Both accounts spread like wildfire, quickly gaining followers and attention.

Though the the goal of the anonymous students included making other students feel better about themselves, the truth became revealed-  most of the students craved social media acknowledgement.

@Flms6compliments quickly found out first hand how much Faith students crave social recognition when she started receiving demands for compliments.

On April 16, as the person behind the username grew overwhelmed by the demands, she posted a picture saying, ”Since yesterday I have had 50 kids yelling at me for not giving them [a compliment] 10 kids asking why I haven’t given them one, and 5 who spam me every hour…I always think of someone before I write on them, and now I’m being told what to write, [and] who to write about.”

After posting the photo, the demands from the sixth graders instantly dropped, besides a few demands still being given.

Despite the glitches in this experiment, the compliments have still managed to brighten the days of those who received them.

Seventh grader Nikki Behjat felt moved reading the compliments on her.

“I almost cried, and thought, ‘wow, thanks!’. It made me really happy,” said Behjat.

Sixth grader Lexi Ballif felt surprised reading about herself.

“I just didn’t expect myself to be [chosen],” said Ballif.

The cause seems to be long-term from the perspective of the owner of @Flms6compliments.

“My goal is to [write about] every single sixth grader, and I aim to do that,” they wrote, posting on April 16.