Hole in one! Morgan Goldstein scores big at The Drive, Chip, and Putt challenge

Photo courtesy of Morgan Goldstein

Professional golfer Bubba Watson presents Goldstein with 12-13 girls division trophy. For more information go to www.drivechipandputt.com

Hannah Lundgaard, Staff Writer

While most students spent their Easter break catching up on much needed sleep, eighth grader, Morgan Goldstein won overall first place in the girls 12-13 division of the National Drive, Chip and Putt competition on the Augusta National Golf Course.

The National Drive, Chip and Putt golf competition is held in Augusta, Georgia for ages 7 to 15 years old. This tournament, founded by USGA, [the United States Golf Association], the Masters golf tournament and PGA of America, gives future golf players a chance to explore their talent.

Goldstein played in the 12-13 girls division, facing 10 fierce competitors in her age group.

“ This was not the hardest competition I have ever faced, but it was one

of my difficult ones.” said Goldstein.

To play in any type of tournament qualifying is no easy task.  Being physically and mentally strong is a very important trait of a successful athlete

Goldstein had to go through «three levels to make it the local sub regional and regional. You had to get top three in local, top two in sub regional, and win regional,” said Goldstein   Having a strong mental mindset and a strong support system is key to a long-lasting career.

“ My whole family supports me with my golf career. My whole family plays golf. My dad used to play golf, but he stopped to help us (Goldstein and brother) out. ”Said Goldstein.

One of Goldstein’s coaches, Cy Federick is proud of Morgan.

“Even more than her golf achievements, I am proud of the type of person she is, very humble, grounded, and extremely appreciative of all God has blessed her with,” said Frederick. Any win in a sport is an accomplishment Goldstein tells how this win affected her golf career, and what she loves best playing golf,

“ It gave me great confidence in achieving my other goals like making it to college in golf and then being on the LPGA some day,” said Goldstein. “My favorite part on playing golf is the competition, because I love going head to head with someone.”

Dedicated   athletes always have a motivation inside of them. Goldstein is motivated by “ Me (Goldstein) and my brother,” said Goldstein “My brother plays golf, so we compete against each other and he motivates me,” said Goldstein.

Goldstein’s years of playing golf have finally paid off.

”  I have come a long way because I moved from shooting into the nineties to the eighties