Middle School Music Adjudication Trip!

The first and second sopranos of the Middle School choirs warm up to rehearse their few selected songs for their adjudication in May. Many of the girls have faces full of smiles, knowing of the fun trip ahead on May 13.

Shae Turner

Shae Turner, Staff Writer

On May 13-15, 2015, 124 of Faith’s middle school band, orchestra, and choir students  will go on the annual music adjudication in Irvine, California.

Students musically involved at Faith have been preparing for this trip for several months because they have a title to uphold from last year’s adjudication when all groups received a “Superior” rating.

“I think our music this year is challenging, so we’ve been working on [the songs] for several months getting prepared for it and feeling confident to perform it for adjudication,” said Sandra Youmans, the choir teacher and conductor.

Most of the groups have worked hard during school in their different blocks, but the Advanced Hand Bell group conducted by Youmans meets before school to get extra practice time in before the trip.

However, students have been working hard for the adjudication, the trip to California is not free. According to Youmans, there is a fee of one hundred and sixty dollars per student. This covers costs for the hotel, the festival, their ticket to Knott’s Berry Farm, and their meals during the trip.

Many of the students involved have different hopes for this year’s adjudication compared to last year’s.

One of the eighth grade orchestra members, Sara Clark, hopes that they will excel in this years’ adjudication.

“I hope this year we get a gold because the past two years we’ve gotten a silver,” said Clark.

This year’s trip will differ compared to last year. Last year’s adjudication trip was held at a university in San Diego, and as a treat, the students got to go to Sea World.

This year’s adjudication will be held at Irvine High School in Irvine, California. As a treat, all of the students and faculty attending the trip get to stop at Knott’s Berry Farm in Buena Park, California before the adjudication.

The stop at the amusement park is a reward for all the students’ hard work and dedication  to music.

“[I hope] that it shows [the students] that if you work hard and are dedicated and are focused, you can get rewards for that,” said Youmans.

To view a PDF version of this article, please click the provided link: music department trip pdf