Faith Lutheran High School, helping one Louisianan at a time with Camp Restore

Just like these volunteers, the high schoolers might even serve as a stress relief team. They aim to help Louisianans still affected by the hurricanes.

Wikipedia

Caroline Hsu, Editor

Faith Lutheran High School students and teachers traveled to New Orleans, LA to participate in a mission trip with Camp Restore.

Faith Lutheran traveled to the Camp Restore in Biloxi, Miss. in 2009, and this year’s mission trip marked the second time Faith Lutheran worked with Camp Restore.

Founded in 2005, Camp Restore began rebuilding New Orleans after the devastating hurricanes Katrina and Rita, and still continues to repair the damage done to the city.

According to www.camprestore.org, Camp Restore, a Lutheran-based ministry, was formed with the purpose of “bring[ing] hope, healing, and recovery to our workers, our churches and schools, our members and our neighbors.”

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita displaced over one million families, and destroyed over 250,000 homes. According to www.livescience.com, an estimated 1,836 people lost their lives in the actual storm and the flooding which occurred afterwards. Camp Restore works to end some of the pain caused by the devastation of these storms.

Led by middle school science teacher Ms. Elizabeth Buss, Faith Lutheran High School decided to work with Camp Restore for this year’s high school mission trip.

“[I have] a family connected to Camp Restore,” said Buss, “When Katrina hit the coast, [my] father was one of the first directors at [the] camp.”

In August of 2006, Reverend David Buss replaced Reverend David Lewis as director of the Disaster Relief Team.

When the opportunity opened up for the high school students in the first week of December, thirty students and three teachers volunteered.

“The trip was open to all high school students. We have students from every grade [in high school] traveling to NOLA to serve,” said Buss.

Students like junior Sam Aizenberg signed up because they wanted to help those they saw suffering on TV.

“When I was little, I remember seeing images of the destruction caused by Katrina on my TV at home,” said Aizenberg. “I was absolutely horrified by what I saw. Now, many years later, I am finally able to go down and do my part in helping a still hurting city recover.”

Aizenberg also expressed excitement to serve the residents of New Orleans.

“I felt like God called me, and everyone else on the team, to serve the people of New Orleans, and do good works in His name. It’s amazing how much of an impact you can make on an entire community when you do things for the glory of God and not yourself,” said Aizenberg.

Despite the hurricane’s occurrence over ten years ago, New Orleans has yet to completely recover. Many families still find themselves without basic necessities, while others still struggle to replace what they lost.

“We will find out more about our volunteering opportunities when we arrive at camp next week,” said Buss, before leaving for the trip. “We could be working with kids and youth in the New Orleans area, working in the marsh lands cleaning up the environment, building construction., and many other odd jobs to help the city of New Orleans.”

The high school students left for New Orleans on Friday, March 20, at 7:30 P.M.

To see a PDF version of the story, click the link below:

Camp Restore Caroline