Nick Vujicic’s life without limbs helped him find God in the darkest times of life

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

In 2011, Vujicic went to multiple churches in Germany to speak of his story and faith in God. To see a list of dates and times when Vujicic speaks to others about his story around the world, go to his website www.lifewithoutlimbs.org

Shae Turner, Staff Writer

Think about all the little, effortless tasks people must complete throughout the day. Now think about how much more difficult those tasks would be without arms and legs. Nick Vujicic has dealt with these struggles and more since the day he was born.

Born in 1982, in Melbourne, Australia, Nick Vujicic (VOO-yee-cheech) was born with tetra-amelia. Tetra-amelia’s main diagnosis is the absence of all four limbs, but this is a very rare syndrome. Medical experts could not figure out the cause of this medical condition in Vujicic case, but Vujicic’s family had much determination to cope with the challenge of their sons’ physical limitations and the blessing that he was born.

As a child, Vujicic struggled with many things including regular challenges at school and struggles with adolescents, but many of his struggles came from his physical disability. He also struggled with emotions like depression and loneliness. The hardest fact for Vujicic to accept when compared to other children was the fact that he’s different. Children that he went to school with didn’t understand his disability and judged him from the beginning.

According to lifewithoutlimbs.org, Vujicic’s turning point happened at age 15 after reading John 9. He prayed to God and said “that if He had a plan for that [blind] man [in John 9], I certainly believed that He had one for me.”

Today Vujicic reflects on those struggles as things that brought him closer to God and allowed his faith to grow. Now,  Vujicic knows that God’s plan for his life is to help people to learn from his personal experience and to help their faith grow stronger.

“Sometimes, we get caught up in what’s wrong with us or what we have, and he reminds me to always appreciate what I have, and if I don’t have something or something’s in my way I use it as a motivation,” said Mrs. Kelli Ongman, department head of sixth grade.

Now that Vujicic has decided to let God take over his life, his faith has only grown stronger.

Vujicic speaks to a variety of people around the world on a day-to-day basis from students and teachers to church congregations.

Eighth grader Sydney Anderson heard Vujicic speak at Canyon Ridge Christian Church on February 28, 2015, and hearing his personal story at the church gathering impacted her life.

“He has done so much for so many people, but yet he’s struggled and formed his life around his situation,” said Anderson. “[His faith] made me believe that God does have a plan for everything. Even though it may seem unreasonable at first, eventually it makes sense.”

Nick Vujicic’s ultimate goal in life is to help as many people as possible find Jesus, and help their faith grow like the tremendous way his own did.

“If God can use a man without arms and legs to be His hands and feet, then He will certainly use any willing heart,”  said Nick Vujicic on his website.

To see a PDF version of this story, click the link below:

Nick Vujicic Shae Turner