Students and locals bound for Broadway

Photo courtesy of Ally Coy

Broadway Bound performers acting in the musical “Thoroughly Modern Millie.” Broadway Bound teaches local children how to act, dance, and perform.

Matthew Huckabay, Staff Writer

Faith Lutheran students and Las Vegas locals dance, sing, and perform in plays and musicals at Broadway Bound. Parents and locals can see the upcoming musical, “The Addams Family,” for fifteen dollars per ticket. Broadway Bound teaches a variety of kids, but many dancers belong in the category of middle or high school.

Broadway Bound, a musical theater program, teaches kids music, performing technique, and choreography. The children love the experience and the environment around the studio.

Broadway Bound teaches Faith Lutheran students such as eighth graders Caitlyn Raymond and Ally Coy, and high schoolers, Harrison and Jackson Langford.

Broadway Bound encourages their students to dance and practice. Family members and friends can inspire the dancers to practice and help the dancers get better.

“My parents inspire me, and they support me no matter what,” said Coy.

High School Spanish Teacher, Mrs. Abigail Gunzelman has seen two shows at Broadway Bound. She saw “The Sound of Music” in February 2014 and “9 to 5,” in September 2014.

“I thought it was really really good! I enjoyed it a lot,” said Gunzelman.

Faith Lutheran students involved with Broadway Bound learn new things.

“I mostly like how I get to meet new people,” said Jackson Langford. “Also how there are more opportunities, more open doors.”

Broadway Bound has many different jobs and roles.

On opening week of a show, the performers practice every day. On opening night performers have to stay focused and calm, especially when the performers see the audience. But the whole cast has to work together with each and every individual to put on a great show for the audience.

“The best part on opening night is seeing the entire audience,” said Coy, “and being part of the family with all the cast members.”

Most performers love the stage and try to put on a good performance for the audience.

“My favorite part was on the stage, running the whole show,” said Raymond.

The performers and the kids in general all have similar or different reasons of joining Broadway Bound. Some members became part of the group because their friends joined, or they loved to act or dance.

“I always loved to act, perform, and dance,” said Coy.

Others joined because they thought it sounded like a lot of fun.

“I joined because my friends were in it, and it sounded like a good experience,” said Raymond.

Other dancers joined because of siblings joining.

“I joined cause it looked like fun, and my brother joined,” said Jackson Langford.

Practices occur usually once or twice during the school week, but the performers can practice at home, by practicing dance numbers, if they choose. Some children can help around at the studio getting ready for their next performance by getting props or setting the stage.

Broadway Bounds’ next show,”The Addams Family,”  costs fifteen dollars per person. The show will run from February 20 to March 7, at one or seven PM. The play will occur at the Summerlin Library, 1771 Inner Circle Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89134. Visit, broadwayboundlv.com, for tickets to,”The Addams Family,” and the location of Bounds’ studios.

Please click here for a PDF version of the story. Broadway Bound PDFweb