Faith’s Conservatory of the Arts to host the Expanding the Arts event on March 20

High School Vocal Ensemble students rehearse their song for the Expanding the Arts event. Students from all five areas of the Arts will participate in the event’s performance “Suddenly Sondheim”.

Tori Amen, Editor

On March 20, 2015, Faith’s Conservatory of the Fine Arts will host the Expanding the Arts fundraising event. All funds raised will go towards the Conservatory to provide students with different items within their programs.

Expanding the Arts is an event that Faith Lutheran’s Fine Arts department puts together annually. Previously known as Experience the Arts, the entire department gets involved. All five components of the Arts combine for this event; theatre, voice, visual arts, instrumental, and dance come together for a night of entertainment.

Bringing students together is one main reason for putting this event together. Another is to raise money for the Faith Conservatory and the supplies they hope to purchase.

“Expanding the Arts actually has two purposes. The first is to raise funds for all of the art disciplines at Faith, and the second is to bring all of the students from all of the disciplines together,” said Dean of Fine Arts Emily Ball.

Tickets for Expanding the Arts costs $50 each, and are available for purchase at www.faiththeatrecompany.com.

Attendees can expect to get plenty for their money’s worth.

The event begins at 7:00 P.M, and during the first part, people will be served hors d’oeuvres and drinks in the CPAC by the high school students. Unfortunately, middle school students will not be allowed to serve at this year’s event as they did last year, but “we really hope they’ll come and enjoy the event and be a part of the event and watching and performing next year,” said Ball.

People also have the opportunity to walk through Faith’s “enchanted forest”. The forest lists all of the items Faith hopes to buy with the money raised. Attendees can also view pieces made by the Visual Arts department in the lobby of the CPAC.

Afterwards, attendees can participate in a live auction and/or raffle, which will raise even more money for Faith’s Conservatory.

Finally, Faith will put on the “Suddenly Sondheim” performance inside of the CPAC auditorium. Special guest, Lance Burton, will open the event with one of his professional magic acts.

Faith high school students will then take the stage for “Suddenly Sondheim”. This one-night only performance includes various works from composer Stephen Sondheim, including songs from the musicals “Into the Woods” and “Sweeney Todd.”

“Suddenly Sondheim” will incorporate all the Fine Arts departments and have them working together to put on one spectacular show.

“It’s basically about being an ensemble, and not just like the theatre would be an ensemble, or the band is their own ensemble, it’s about the theatre, the band, and the visual arts, and the dance,” said sophomore Jackson Langford. “We’re all coming together as just one big performing/visual arts ensemble, and it’s about unity.”

To see a pdf version of this story, please click the following link: Expanding the arts