MS Soccer kicking back into the season

The seventh and eighth graders of last year's A team display their trophy after a huge win, which won them the league championship. This year, tryouts will take place March16-18.

Aaron Hazen

The seventh and eighth graders of last year’s A team display their trophy after a huge win, which won them the league championship. This year, tryouts will take place March16-18.

Caroline Hsu, Editor

This spring, the Faith Lutheran co-ed soccer teams hope to repeat last spring’s winning season, after “literally set[ting] the school on fire,” said Aaron Hazen, the A team MS soccer coach.

Finishing with a league championship for the A team and the B team’s impressive 4th place title in states, the players last year left some pretty big shoes to fill.

Last year’s season ended with great results, but the current eighth graders and coaches alike believe this year’s season holds an even brighter future.

“[This year], we have a lot more players, and a better variety [of] people,” said eighth grader Kate Swanis.

Hazen has high hopes for the new recruits.

“I have heard stories about some of the seventh graders, and if the rumors are true, we have a very good chance to repeat as champions,” said Hazen.

Seventh graders at Faith Lutheran await the start of the new season with excitement at the opportunity to try out for the teams.

“I hope I’ll make the A team, but B team is okay too, because both coaches are really good,” said seventh grader Stephanie Vancura.

The eighth graders have confidence that the seventh graders will do well this season.

“[The seventh graders] play club; and will probably be as prepared as I will [be],” said eighth grader Jackson Ironside.

Swanis believes the seventh graders will do well based off their skill.

“I think they’ll do well, because they have a lot of good soccer players,” said Swanis.

With the A team lead by Hazen, and the B team lead by Mr. Bob Chinn, both coaches have confidence of a repeat of last year’s successes.

“The key is going to be getting players to playing for each other, ” said Hazen. “If the team chooses to do that, we will do great things.”

Chinn hopes even more players will join this season.

“I hope some more players will join us to make both middle school [teams] very strong!” said Chinn via e-mail.

For middle school students who have an interest in this year’s season, there will have an oppurtunity open “to get a feel for the coaches, the program. and see if soccer is truly something they want to commit to,” said Hazen.

Workouts, or “kick arounds” will happen during the second week of March. For more information, students can talk to Mr. Hazen in Portable 67. According to Chinn and Hazen, tryouts will occur from March 16-18, 2015 for both middle school teams, and students can attend an information meeting held March 3 from 3:15-3:30 PM.

To see a PDF version of this article, click the link below:

Caroline Soccer Issue PDF