Music students prepare their vocals for the Solo Ensemble Festival on February 20 and 21 at Clark High School to test their talents

Emma Mathes, Toni Carlo, and Grace Parker prepare for the Solo Ensemble Festival to see where they need improvement as a musician. Music students across Las Vegas attend this Festival to see where their music carrer could take them.

Photo courtesy of Sandra Youmans

Megan Correia, Staff Writer

Music students all across Las Vegas are rehearsing and preparing their vocals and musical instruments for the Solo Ensemble Festival taking place at Clark High School, February 20 and 21.  The Solo Ensemble Festival ranks musicians on many different aspects of their performance to let them know where to work and practice more. Many music students have different aspects on performing.

“I have anxiety leading up to the event, but it hasn’t been as stressful as last year.” seventh grader     Emma Mathes said.

This annual event lets singers and other musicians see how they’re progressing with their music, and also helps them build up confidence of being on the stage.

Sandra Youmans, Middle School and High School Choir and Handbells director, motivates the vocalists every step of the way.

“At this point, all the musicians have their music and need to work on their own. Then, two weeks before, we set up a time where they can come meet with me and or Ms.Cope who’s the piano accompience. But they really need to put time in on their own.” Youmans said.

After the musicians choose their song, it’s off to rehearsals. After the musician chooses their song to perform, rehearsals are a prioraty for the musician to feel confident on the stage. It’s their responsibility to know and memorize the music piece from the point of introduction to their moment on stage.

All kinds of musicians are able to participate, that’s why the festival is open to any kind musician who wants to know where their music can take them.

“I chose to do the festival because I really like singing and I thought it would be a fun experience.” said Grace Parker, a seventh grader who also writes for the MS Crusader.

“I like to see where I’m at as a signer” Mathes said

When the musician walks on the Festival stage to introduce yourself, the judges are looking for an array of different things such as, knowledge of their song, appearance and posture, accuracy of the notes, interpretation of the song, pitch, rhythm, and tone.

As the festival date is coming quickly to performers, some are starting to feel anxious for their big performance.

“ I’m very excited, and I’m looking forward to it.” Parker said.

Signing up for the festival isn’t as hard as choosing the perfect song. All musicians have to do is choose a time slot, and pay a $5 entry fee. After the musician has performed, they will be rewarded with a Festival medal and their scores listed for the contestants to see. This Festival lets the musician know what to work on to better their music.

Click Here for a PDF layout version of this story: Solo Ensemble Festival