Faith MS Wrestling: a sport like none other

Trent Teunis

Students wrestle competitively in Faith Lutheran’s wrestling room. The students say that wrestling is like none other sport that they have played.

Jared Nigro, Editor

When people think of wrestling, they probably think of WWE or the UFC, where people hit each other with chairs and tables. But, Faith Middle School wrestling is more controlled than that. Students like Jack Bricker and Caleb LaLonde work very hard in the sport to become the best they can. The wrestling season started again this year with Coach Grant Rolfsmeier.

Wrestling started in the middle of November and it ended around January 30th.

Many of the wrestling students believe that wrestling is different from other sports.
“I think wrestling is different from other sports because it is a lot of a singular sport but without any pads like in football,” said eighth grader Jack Bricker.
Others agree with him.

“I think wrestling is different from other sports because there are so many moves that you can learn,” said seventh grader Joseph Candela.
Rolfsmeier also shares ideas on how he thinks wrestling is different from other sports.

“Wrestling is different from other sports because of the toughness factor because often times in other sports there are other people out their or there are more people to look at, but in wrestling it is just you and the other guy,” Rolfsmeier explained.” Everyone is watching you, plus all of the effort and intensity that you put in reflects in that one match. The sport just really builds character.”

In wrestling, there includes three different styles, Greco Roman, Freestyle, and also Folkstyle. Although Greco Roman and Freestyle are usually the international styles that people would see in the Olympics. Folkstyle is usually what the middle school, high school, and college play.

Many students on the wrestling team agree that the sport can involve very exciting aspects.
“I like wrestling because when I walk into that wrestling room, I can just let off a bunch of steam if I’m angry, but mostly it just calms me down,” said eighth grader Caleb LaLonde.
“I think it [wrestling] really breaths toughness,” said Bricker about the situation.

The wrestling team, now into the season, had many goals at the beginning.

“I’m hoping that everybody, throughout the wrestling season, can learn new moves and get better by experiencing tournaments in the rookie division.” said LaLonde prior to the end of the season.

Rolfsmeier agrees with the students about how exciting the sport is.

“Wrestling is exciting because it is the top sport at building character and building young men and actually having them go through adversity. It also helps me to see what the students are made of and allowing them to grow to develop other wrestling skills and life lessons.” Rolfsmeier said.

The wrestlers had many goals at the beginning,”I’m hoping that everybody, throughout the wrestling season, can learn new moves and get better by experiencing tournaments in the rookie division.” said LaLonde during the season.”

Rolfsmeier also had a few words to say about his team as they entered the season.

“We have had a lot of encouraging results, people who have learned a lot, and people who are getting better each day. So I think the season has gone very well.” Said Rolfsmeier.

Click Here for a PDF version of this story: Wrestling Story