The new musical Bye Bye Birdie auditions

Kendal Owens, Staff Writer

On December 16-19 auditions for the musical “Bye Bye Birdie” will be held in CPAC after school. Students can’t wait to audition for the new production.

In 1963 Columbia films presented a musical comedy film, “Bye Bye Birdie”. A popular singer, Elvis Presley’s draft into the United States Army in 1957 inspired this film.

Haley Lilla can’t wait to see the musical “Bye Bye Birdie” in action.

“Bye Bye Birdie was a great movie, and I’m excited to try out for the musical.” said eigth grader Haley Lilla

Mr. Dave Elliot will direct the new musical. Elliot said he chose to do the musical “Bye Bye Birdie” because, “I have always loved this musical. the story and music is so much fun, and it is good to do classics in an educational theater.” in an email

When directing musicals, Elliot looks for, “people who best fit the characters found in the script, either looks or attitude.” Elliot said via email

Some students would like to work with Elliot in future productions.

“I am excited to work with Mr. Elliot because he is an amazing director and I can’t wait to see how the play turns out.” said seventh grader Cathleen Cornish

Elliot noted that there is numerous there are things they can do to prepare for the audition.

“Students should pick a song they can really sing. Often students pick a song that they like but it doesn’t showcase their singing ability,” said Elliot in an email. “Also, they should fill out formas in advanced and read the script.” Elliot recommends students take his advice, because it will help evryone at the auditions and let students know what to expect. Elliot also has a moodle page for “Bye Bye Birdie” that gives more information about the musical.

“Students should sign up for audition times and read over the process on the Bye Bye Birdie Moodle site.”

Type in BIRDIE (all caps) for the password.

Students plan what part they would like to audition for and practice hard to get it. “ I would

like to be in the dance ensemble because I love dancing and performi onstage.

‘I will practice by taking more dance classes and working hard to get the part.”

said, seventh grader Katelyn Phillips.

Students are excited to perform and participate in the production.

“I want to be in the play because I love to sing, dance, and act, doing a musical lets me become a different character, and it’s super fun.” said seventh grader Talina Hajar

Practices will start in January and ready to perform March 13, 14, 15.

PDF of article can be viewed here: Kendal Bye Bye Birdy